In today’s app recommendation Thursday, we are going to crack the New LinkedIn Students App.
LinkedIn is the leading social network for business professionals. It’s one of the fastest growing social media sites and provides users with great opportunities for meeting potential employers, employees, partners and more. There is now an app called LinkedIn Students, made especially for students who want to use LinkedIn to help them find a job or internship. This app can also be used by professionals in higher education who want to help their students succeed. Let’s find out how this new app can make LinkedIn more useful for students.
Why Students Must Use LinkedIn
LinkedIn currently has over 433 million members. Unlike other popular social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, LinkedIn was created specifically for business professionals. This is why it’s never too early to join this network to help get your career started. There are a number of benefits that students can enjoy on LinkedIn.
- Become familiar with the job market. With millions of job openings and internships listed, you can see what’s out there. Whether you’re already looking for a position or not, it’s useful to get an idea of who’s hiring and what they’re looking for in a job candidate.
- Make connections. You can never have too many connections in the business world. On LinkedIn, you can connect with like-minded people as well as influencers in your industry. The sooner you join the site, the more connections you’ll be able to make.
- Build a following. LinkedIn gives you the opportunity to start building your personal brand by creating blog posts, participating in groups and exchanging messages with other members.
The main challenge with LinkedIn, however, is deciding on where to put your focus. This can be especially daunting for students who aren’t yet familiar with the job market and business world. The Student App helps you get the most out of LinkedIn.
Features of LinkedIn Students App
The LinkedIn Students App, available for iOS and Android, taps into LinkedIn’s huge database of professionals to help students and recent college graduates connect with employers.
- Discover jobs and internships that are a good fit. Many students are confused about what type of jobs are a good match for their major, abilities and interests. Since the job market changes rapidly, it’s not always helpful to rely on outdated information. With the LinkedIn Students App, you’ll have access to the very latest data, making it easier to conduct productive searches.
- Daily Recommendations. The app provides daily ideas for students based on the information they provided. This includes the type of jobs you’d be well suited for and possible companies where they might be applicable. It also taps into alumni data, revealing the careers taken by many former students of your school.
- Learn more about different jobs and careers. When the app makes suggestions, you may be introduced to jobs and careers you hadn’t before considered. You can then click on links to find out what these jobs entail, how much they pay on average and what kind of demand exists for them. This is an efficient way to expand your horizons for promising career paths.
The Students App is integrated with the other features of LinkedIn. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, a great deal of information will already be pre-filled when you download the app.
Using LinkedIn For Your Job Search
LinkedIn has many features that are helpful for students and recent graduates. The new app can connect you with new possibilities. You should also be aware of the many other LinkedIn educational resources that are available.
Using LinkedIn and the Students App to Jumpstart Your Career
- University Pages. This section includes data more than 24,000 colleges and universities. You can look up information from any institute of higher education, looking up alumni. You can also contact people who act as page admins for each college. When you look up a college you’ll also see a list of all your connections related to this school. This makes it an efficient way to find new college-related connections on LinkedIn. There are also linked to groups affiliated with the college.
- Alumni Tool. You can look up the college or university from which you graduated. You can then find out the places these alumni live, where they work and what career’s they’ve chosen. In addition to being useful for students, this feature is also convenient for companies that want to plan career events.
- Advanced People Search. Both students and education professionals can use advanced search features to fine-tune job searches. You can search for first and second level connections. You can also search for people who work for certain companies, CEOs and other executives, alumni of certain colleges and many other search functions. There are many ways to use these features. You could, for example, find CEOs and other high-level executives who graduated from your college.
LinkedIn provides students with an extremely valuable set of tools to help them make new connections and find potential jobs and internships. Here’s a summary of what you can do to get the most out of these tools.
- If you’re not a member of LinkedIn, join as soon as possible.
- Create and optimize your profile. Use a recent photo and provide a description of your career goals. Also, be sure to fill out the education section thoroughly.
- Download the new LinkedIn Students App. Be sure to use the features, such as checking out the daily ideas.
- Make new connections on a regular basis. Use the people search function to find people to connect with.
- Be active in groups. You can join or start your own alumnus group for your school. You can also find groups dedicated to your major or the field where you hope to work.
- Blog on LinkedIn. This gives you a chance to showcase your ideas and connect with even more people.